I'm Not Much Into Health Food
pop quiz:Did you like waking up at Midnight in the 80s?
Traditionally a leftovers fry up including lots of potato with a fried egg on top, Al Murray would claim this makes it a British dish, but I’ll give it to the Austrians.
If you are a veggie make sure they don’t sneak any meat in. Number one in my Top 10 Vegetarian Meals available in Austrian Ski resorts. If you fancy making it yourself, grab the frying pan, in fact grab two.
- 250g-ish of cooked Potato, chopped into bite sized chunks
- 200g-ish of mixed cooked Veg; sprouts, peas, cabbage, courgette, mushroom, corn, green beans all work well
- 1 small Onion, chopped quite small
- Slug of Veg Oil
- Large pinch Caraway Seeds
- Large pinch Paprika
- 2 Eggs
- Few Chives, snipped into short bits
- Heat the oil in your biggest frying pan, add the onion; fry until starting to brown around the edges.
- Add the potatoes; continue to fry until they too are starting to brown.
- Sprinkle on the caraway seeds and paprika and season well to taste.
- Stir in the veg; turn the heat down for 10-ish mins until the veg is thoroughly warmed through.
- Meanwhile in your smaller pan, fry a couple of eggs, however you like them, I prefer my white solid and my yoke runny.
- Place the eggs on top of the veg mixture and sprinkle with chives.
Serves Two: make sure it is piping hot. I usually splash HP Sauce over mine – yum!
pop trivia: "I ain't much into health food" from Escape by Rupert Holmes in the early 80s.