Please Sir, I Want Some More
pop quiz: what the Dickens?
The Austrians like their soups and like their pancakes and this veggie food combines the two perfectly. If you’ve only ever had pancakes with lemon and sugar try this, delicious.
Strict veggies need to check the soup is not made from meat stock nor has any floating chunks.
Fladlesuppe is at number four in my Top 10 Vegetarian Meals available in Austrian Ski resorts. This can use leftover pancakes and left over soup thrown together, or for a little more sophisticated approach...
Fladlesuppe Recipe Ingredients
- 1 Veggie Stock Cube
- Splash of Oil
- 1 Carrot, diced
- 1 Turnip, diced
- 1 Parsnip, diced
- 1 Onion, copped
- 2 stalks Celery, sliced
- 1 Leek, sliced
(or any other combination of vegetables you fancy or have in your cupboard)
- 100g Plain Flour, sieved
- 2 Eggs
- 200ml Milk mixed with 50ml Water
- Grated Cheese
Fladlesuppe Recipe Method
- Heat a splash of oil in a large saucepan, throw in all the vegetables, stir.
- Cover and sweat gently for 5mins, stir frequently to prevent browning.
- Dissolve the stock cube in half a pint of boiling water, add to the veg mix.
- Add another pint of water; bring broth to a gentle simmer.
- Cover pan and cook gently for about an hour until the veg is beginning to break down.
- Stain the broth into a clean pan, season to taste; add a bit of Tabasco or Worcestershire Sauce for added kick.
- Either discard the cooked veg or for a thicker broth whizz a few spoonfuls in a processor until smooth and add back to the broth.
- Pancakes: Place the flour and pinch of salt into a large mixing bowl, add the eggs to the centre.
- Incorporate the flour into the eggs with a whisk.
- Add the milk/water mix, a bit at a time, whisking as you go.
- Once it’s all in, continue to whisk until smooth and creamy.
- Melt a small knob of butter in a small frying pan, get the pan really hot.
- Add a ladle full of batter, just enough to cover the bottom of the pan.
- Cook for less than a minute, lift the edge with a knife to check for a golden colour.
- Flip over, using a good wrist action or a palette knife! Cook for about the same time on the second side.
- Slide out onto a plate. Repeat until you have a stack of pancakes and have ran out of batter.
To serve: take a couple of pancakes, roll them up and slice into 1cm strips. Place strips in the bottom of a soup bowl.
Serves four: Ladle thoroughly warmed broth over the strips, top with a little chopped parsley and cheese, tuck in.
pop trivia: “Please Sir, I want some more” from the 1968 Oscar winning film musical 'Oliver' which gave us ‘Food Glorious Food’.